It’s really easy:
- Click on Browse Directory or Top 100 Topics
- Click on a topic you want and browse the accounts listed
- To find out more about an account, click on the Fediverse address to see the account’s profile in a new tab
- To follow an account, copy and paste its Fediverse address into the search box in your Mastodon app or on your server’s site. This will work on any Mastodon website or app, including official and third party apps.
- Alternatively, if you have a Fediverse extension installed on your web browser, you can just click “follow” on the account’s profile page.
Following accounts using the copy & paste method
NOTE: If you’re on the official Mastodon app, click the magnifying glass 🔍 at the bottom to make the search box appear at the top. If you’re on the mobile website, click the magnifying glass 🔍 at the top. If you’re using the Toot! third party app, click ⋯ and select Search.
(You can also follow people using “remote follows” ⧉ but that requires you to re-enter your password every time you follow someone and is a bit of a pain. Copying and pasting the address is much easier, simpler and quicker.)
Following accounts using browser extensions
At the moment the only actively maintained extension is Simplified Federation for Firefox ⧉.
If you still need help, get in touch!
You can follow me at @FediFollows@social.growyourown.services
If you have any questions, suggestions or other comments contact me. If you’re the owner of an account, let me know if you want an entry added, edited or removed. This is a curated list though so I can’t promise to add everything, and I only list accounts that are aimed at a public audience. If you want to let people know about your general personal account, try the splendid Trunk ⧉ and Fediverse.info ⧉.
If you need help with using Mastodon and the Fediverse, check out my other site Fedi.Tips ⧉.